The Allambee Club was formed by a group of farsighted women in 1923 as a meeting place in Yass. The Club continues to be run by the members for the members. Now, nearly a century later, it is still providing a venue for all members and their guests to meet, have lunch together, play a game of cards and use as a place to keep in contact with one another. The Club can be hired by members for special functions. It is a comfortable place to feed the baby, have a cup of tea during a busy day in town or somewhere to wait whilst the car is being serviced.
First known as the Yass Women's Club, its formation was the idea of founding members Mrs DArcy Bucknell and Mrs W Hay. The first meeting was held on 10 November 1923. To begin with the Clubrooms were in a small dwelling at the back of the Mechanics Institute.
In 1925, architect Sir Charles Rosenthal of Rosenthal & Day, Castlereagh Street, Sydney, designed a new building and in February 1926 The Club moved to the current premises at 76 Comur Street. Funds for the building were borrowed or raised through debentures, money long since repaid.
The name was changed to The Allambee Club in 1925 when the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Bucknell and Mrs Hay. Apparently Allambee stems from an Aboriginal word meaning meeting place of women.
Practically all of the furniture for The Club was purchased with money raised by members through stalls in The Club and various entertainments.
Members continue to raise money for the maintenance and improvements of The Club through various lunches and dinners held throughout the year.
Members are encouraged to use The Club as often as possible and ensure its traditions continue for generations to come.